Job vacancy No. 20210716
The GWDG is seeking a
Storage Expert (m/f/d)
to join an interdisciplinary team of HPC experts in the working group “eScience” (AG E) with a regular working week of 39 hours. Remuneration is in accordance with the collective agreement for the German public service (federal government); depending on qualifications, the position will be graded up to pay grade E13. The position is suitable for part-time work and is initially limited to two years. The GWDG strives for long-term cooperation. If interested, there is the possibility of a doctorate.
Overview GWDG and subject area
The Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen (GWDG) is the university computing center for the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen and a computing and IT competence center for the Max Planck Society. The provision of high-performance HPC systems has been one of its tasks for over 40 years. In 2020, the University of Göttingen/GWDG was accepted as one of eight computing centers in the National High Performance Computing (NHR) network. The GWDG operates the HLRN-IV system “Emmy”, one of the most powerful computers in the world.
In addition to the leading parallel file systems Lustre, Spectrum Scale, BeeGFS and StorNext, various object stores and tape libraries are in use to provide suitable storage infrastructures with a storage capacity of over 50 petabytes for our various use cases such as data takes, on-premise cloud and HPC.
To strengthen our high-performance computing team, we are looking for a committed employee with a proven interest and expertise in the storage challenges of high-performance computing. Would you like to contribute to the further development of our HPC location and the NHR network, optimize the performance of scientific applications and systems or establish new research topics in the Göttingen HPC environment? Then apply!
Responsibilities in our team are in particular as follows:
- Advice on the efficient use of the various storage resources
- Participation in the administration and continuous further development of the storage landscape
- Advice and support for users on how to use the available storage resources efficiently
- Monitoring of the storage systems
- Carrying out and supporting research work in the field of storage for HPC systems
- Completed university degree or comparable qualification with relevant professional experience
- Experience in the administration of parallel file systems (e.g. Luster, BeeGFS, ..), including monitoring, configuration, benchmarking and fine tuning of storage for special applications
- Experience with object memories and their access protocols, such as S3 (e.g. Ceph, MinIO, ...), DAOS, etc.
- Good understanding of the storage requirements of various applications
- Good analytical thinking
- Independent, structured and systematic way of working
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Very good written and spoken German and English
- Flexible working hours and opportunity for mobile working
- A modern, diverse, and exceptional work environment with close proximity to academia and research at the intersection of several innovative technology sectors
- An interesting, versatile job in a large, internationally operating IT competence center
- Collaboration in a competent and committed team
- Qualification and further development of your skills
- Social benefits of the public sector
The GWDG strives for gender equity and diversity and therefore welcomes applications from any background. The GWDG strives to employ more severely disabled people. Applications from severely disabled persons are expressly encouraged.
Have we aroused your interest? Then please send us your application by 20.08.2021 via our online form.